to Your Home for Health Care on the North Shore of Lake Superior
Patient Rights and ResponsibilitiesSawtooth Mountain Clinic (SMC) is concerned that each patient who receives services at the clinic is treated with dignity, respect and compassion. SMC recognizes all patients have basic rights in receiving health care and is committed to honoring those rights.
SMC also has a right to expect reasonable and responsible behavior from its patients.
The following is a summary of Rights and Responsibilities SMC believes serves as the basis for a good health care relationship between patients, staff, and the clinic management.
Access to Care
SMC provides comprehensive medical care for general medicine, prenatal, obstetrical, pediatric and emergency needs to all people regardless of race, creed, sex, national origin, and regardless of the ability to pay for service.
Respect and Dignity
Patients have the right to receive considerate, respectful care with recognition of their personal dignity and comfort.
The SMC staff respects the privacy of all patients. No medical information is released without the patient's signed permission, except when required by law.
Patients have the right to:
- Consult with the Physician and/or Nurse Practitioner of her/his choice.
- Receive considerate and respectful care.
- Expect confidentiality and privacy.
- Refuse treatment.
- Receive and understand information concerning diagnosis, treatment, risks, benefits, alternatives, costs, and prognosis.
- Have an advance directive (such as a living will or power of attorney).
- Make informed decisions regarding medical care.
- Refuse to participate in research projects.
- Review and obtain copies of his/her medical records applicable to state laws.
- Expect reasonable continuity of care.
- Provide the Physician and/or Nurse Practitioner with accurate information.
- Provide the Physician and/or Nurse Practitioner with an accurate medical history.
- Follow the Physician and/or Nurse Practitioners' instruction for medical care.
- Compensate in a timely fashion for services rendered.
- Keep appointments, and notify Sawtooth Mountain Clinic if unable to do so.
- Follow the rules and regulations of Sawtooth Mountain Clinic affecting patient care and conduct.