to Your Home for Health Care on the North Shore of Lake Superior
Outreach Services of the Sawtooth Mountain ClinicSawtooth Mountain Clinic (SMC) sponsors many community outreach and education programs throughout the year. These programs are affordable because of support from the SMC, Cook County’s Department of Public Health and Human Services, state, federal and private grants.
- Childbirth Education
Contact Kristin DeArruda-Wharton, RN, 218 387-2330 ext 150 or
Amy Marie Schmidt, RN, 218-387-2330 ext. 120
- Women Infants and Children (WIC)
This is a federally-funded nutrition education program for women, infants, and children. Eligibility is based on income. Food vouchers are provided.
Contact Teresa Borak, RN, at 218-387-2330 ext 117
Kristin DeArruda-Wharton, RN, 218-387-2330 ext 150 or
- Blood Pressure and Blood Sugar Screening Clinics
Senior Center 10:30 – 11:30 AM on the first Tuesday of each month
Also available at rotating locations; see our calendar
Blood pressures are no charge; blood sugar screening $3.00
- Child and Teen Checkups
- Cholesterol Screening
Check our calendar for opportunities
Facts about high cholesterol
- Foot Care Clinic
Available for trimming toe-nails and foot exams; $10 per visit.
Senior Center 9:00 – 11:00 AM on third Tuesday of each month;
First-come-first-served, bring tub to soak feet, soap and a towel.
- Flu Shot Clinics
Flu shots are provided when available – prior to flu season – and offered at the Clinic or at numerous locations in the county as indicated on our calendar.
This years (2017) Outreach Locations:
Thurs. Sept. 28 -- SMC Lower Level -- 4:30pm - 6:00pm
Thurs. Sept. 28 -- Cascade Vacation Rentals Bldg., Lutsen -- 10:45am - 11:45am
Birch Grove Community Center, Tofte, MN -- 12:30pm - 1:30pm
Mon. Oct. 2 -- SMC Lower Level -- 11:30am - 1:00pm
Thurs. Oct. 5 -- SMC Lower Level -- 4:30pm - 6:00pm
Flu shots available at a $28.00 rate, payable by cash or check only. If you would like us to bill your insurance at the clinic rate, please bring your information and card with you.
For more information call Amy at 218-387-2330.
- Tobacco Cessation Program
Scheduled as necessary; see our calendar.
Contact Teresa Borak at 218 387 2330 ext 117
Smoking Cessation Information
- Emergency Preparedness
The Clinic collaborates with Cook County’s Emergency Preparedness Program.
- Community Education Services
Medical professionals provide information on relevant topics throughout the community throughout the year. Example programs include:
- diabetic education,
- cardiovascular disease prevention and management,
- hypertension prevention and management,
- adolescent health education
- physical fitness topics
- Contact Teresa Borak at 218 387 2330 ext 117
- Business-specific and School-specific Services
- Vision and Hearing Screening
- State Health Improvement Program (SHIP)
- Athletic Health and Safety Education
- Flu shots
- Health screening to meet insurance requirements
- Blood pressure screening
- Available for business-specific or topic-specific education that helps a business maintain good ratings with health insurance policies
- We Can! (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services/National Institute of Health program)
- WIC - Women Infants Children
- American Diabetes Association
- American Heart Association
- NHLBI- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
- Minnesota Department of Health
- Minnesota Association of Community Health Centers
- National Association of Community Health Centers
- Agency for Healthcare Research & Quality ("What Preventive Services Do I Need?") http://epss.ahrq.gov/ePSS/search.jsp