Seventy-seven percent of the U.S. population is in the workforce. Because the majority of adults spend nearly half of their waking hours at work, the work environment has a significant potential to influence health.
A well-designed workplace wellness initiative offers an organizational structure and physical environment that supports employee health and encourages positive lifestyle behaviors. Some benefits to employers in offering a comprehensive workplace wellness initiative include:
- Decreased absenteeism, employee turnover and health care costs
- Improved productivity
- Improved time and stress management for employees
- Increased employee recruitment and retention
- Bolstered employee morale and commitment to the company by showing management cares about their well-being
- Enhanced organizational image, which helps make you an employer of choice
Workplaces in communities across Minnesota have joined together through the Statewide Health Improvement Partnership (SHIP) to establish workplace wellness initiatives. Currently, Sawtooth Mountain Clinic provides facilitation to both a Development Collaborative, for employers new to Workplace Wellness, and to a Networking Group, for employers that have completed the Development Collaborative and wish to learn from and support each other as they implement their programs.
If you’d like more information on how your workplace can start creating a “culture of health,” contact Hartley Newell-Acero at email@example.com.