Patient Records

Do you need a copy of your or your family member’s medical records? Copies of a patient’s medical record can be obtained, with proper permissions, from our Medical Records department.

You can obtain a Medical Records Release Form here:

Release Form

Or by: Picking up a form from at the clinic

Or by: Written Request to

Sawtooth Mountain Clinic
513 5th Avenue West
Grand Marais, MN 55604

Please include your printed name, any name you would previously be known by, date of birth, signature, and date of request.

Forms can be returned to Sawtooth Mountain Clinic
513 5th Ave. West
Grand Marais, MN 55604

Or faxed to 218-387-1278

Records will be ready for pick-up 72 hours after a request is processed.

FAQ about Medical Records

Can my spouse or anyone else pick up my medical records for me?

Yes, but only if the signed authorization form specifies that they may be released to that person.

Can my spouse or adult child get my medical records?

No, only if they have a valid authorization.

How can I get authorization for my spouse or adult children to have access to my medical records?

An Exchange of Information form can be completed. This allows your physician to share health information about you with your family members or other people involved in your health care if you choose.

For additional questions, please call our Medical Records Department at 218-387-2330.

For Patient Portal Access, click here.

If I am transferring care to or from Sawtooth Mountain Clinic how do I transfer my records and what records should be transferred?

Fill out a Release of Information form clearly stating where you want the records to go.  Our form can be found on our web site or can be picked up at the clinic.  All clinics have this form so it will be available for you at your new practitioners office.   Records that should be transferred are a Patient Summary including past medical history, past surgical history, allergies, and a medication list.  Also needed for continuation of care are your maintenance records such colonoscopies, pap smears, mammograms, PSAs, last annual physical or well child exam including lab values, chest x-ray, and immunizations.  If we or your new practitioner would like more records those may be requested at any time.

Can my records be emailed to me? Email is not considered to be secure. The best way to receive records is either through the patient portal, fax or US mail.