Who are we?

What is Sawtooth Mountain Clinic?  

Sawtooth Mountain Clinic is a 501(c)(3) designated, nonprofit, federally qualified community health center.

What is a Federally Qualified Community Health Center?

Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHC) are community-based health care facilities that receive funding to provide integrated primary care services in rural or underserved areas. Sawtooth Mountain Clinic has been a FQHC since 1979.

What kinds of services do you offer?

Sawtooth Mountain Clinic provides family practice medical and behavioral health services. Our family practice providers provide comprehensive health care for people of all ages, from newborns to seniors. We also provide a variety of public health services.

Do you offer Urgent Care services?

We are not an Urgent Care clinic however we accommodate walk in or same day appointments as our schedule allows.


Do I need to see a doctor?

Call 218-387-2330 and ask for a nurse. Our nurses are on staff every day during office hours. A nurse will answer your questions and help you decide if you need to visit the doctor or another medical professional.

What do I do if I need medical help outside of your business hours?

For medical emergencies, call 911.

For non-emergency medical assistance when clinic is closed, call North Shore Health Hospital: 218-387-3040.

Why can’t I get an appointment for a physical sooner?

Due to the length of time for a medical provider to complete a physical exam, generally the exams are scheduled four to six weeks out, to accommodate time needed.

Why do I have to schedule an annual physical exam to renew my medications?

We require an annual exam to make sure the medications prescribed a year ago are still working properly for you.

I’m running late.  Do I need to reschedule my appointment?

Whenever possible, please call to let us know if you are running late.  If you are more than 20 minutes late, you will be asked to reschedule your appointment.

Do I need to cancel my appointment for a complete physical exam if I cannot get my lab work done one week prior?


Do I need to make an appointment to get lab work done?


Where do I get my lab work done?

At the North Shore Health Hospital, which is connected to the clinic.

What are “fasting instructions” for lipid panel lab test?

Have a low fat meal the night before, nothing to eat or drink nine to 12 hours before specimen collection (you may take your medication with water), and no alcohol for 24 hours prior to specimen collection.

Billing and Insurance

What does my insurance cover?

Different plans have different levels of coverage. Please call the phone number on your insurance card to find out what your plan covers.

Which insurance companies does the clinic have contracts with?

  • Medicare
  • Minnesota Medicaid
  • Blue Cross of Minnesota
  • Health Partners
  • Preferred
  • Tri-Care
  • Medica
  • VA
  • UCare

My insurance says they won’t pay for my claim unless you code as an emergency or urgent care claim. Can you do this?

We are not an Urgent Care clinic and we are not able to code any visits here as Emergency or Urgent Care.

I have a question about my bill from North Shore Health.

Sawtooth Mountain Clinic is a separate business from North Shore Health. We cannot speak for their billing department. Please contact their billing office directly at 218-387-3040.

I do not have insurance. Can I still be seen at Sawtooth Mountain Clinic? Do you offer financial assistance?

Sawtooth Mountain Clinic’s mission is to provide high-quality to medical to anyone who walks through our doors, whether or not you have insurance and regardless of ability to pay. We offer Financial Assistance which may reduce the amount of money you owe for services. Contact Erin or Karen at 218-387-2330 with questions.

I need help with MNsure.  Who can help me?

Please call our clinic at 218-387-2330

My Medical Records

How do I access my medical records?

For Patient Portal Access, click here.

For additional questions, please call our Medical Records Department at 218-387-2330 or visit the patient records page.

Can my spouse or anyone else pick up my medical records for me?

Yes, but only if the signed authorization form specifies that they may be released to that person.

Can my spouse or adult child get my medical records?

No, only if they have a valid authorization.

How can I get authorization for my spouse or adult children to have access to my medical records?

An Exchange of Information form can be completed. This allows your physician to share health information about you with your family members or other people involved in your health care if you choose.

If I am transferring care to or from Sawtooth Mountain Clinic how do I transfer my records and what records should be transferred?

Fill out a Release of Information form clearly stating where you want the records to go.  Our form can be found on our web site or can be picked up at the clinic.  All clinics have this form so it will be available for you at your new practitioners office.   Records that should be transferred are a Patient Summary including past medical history, past surgical history, allergies, and a medication list.  Also needed for continuation of care are your maintenance records such colonoscopies, pap smears, mammograms, PSAs, last annual physical or well child exam including lab values, chest x-ray, and immunizations.  If we or your new practitioner would like more records those may be requested at any time.

Can my records be emailed to me? Email is not considered to be secure.   The best way to receive records is either through the patient portal, fax or US mail.

Directions to Our Clinic

Can you give me directions to the clinic?

As you come into Grand Marais on Highway 61, turn onto 5th Avenue West. At the top of the hill, at the intersection of County Road 7 and 5th Avenue West, you will see the clinic facility. Follow 5th Avenue West to the main entrance for the Sawtooth Mountain Clinic. Park in the upper lot.


I (or my child) need(s) vaccines.  Do I need to make an appointment?

Yes.  Please call 218-387-2330 to make a nurse visit for your vaccinations.

I am planning to travel and need travel vaccines.  Do you have what I need?

Depending on the country you are traveling to, we may need to order certain vaccines.  Please call 218-387-2330 to schedule a travel consult.  We will be happy to help you determine your vaccine needs.